Monday 16 June 2014

Monday 16 June 2014 - La Maddalena

Well as predicted the weather is terrible as we wake up.  It has been raining and the sky is full of black clouds.  Unless it clears up we are here for the day.

This isn’t a bad place to be weather bound, except for the sanitary facilities.  They are not run or owned by the harbour.  There is a public block run by the town and they not only charge for the showers (we are used to that), but they charge a Euro to use the toilet.  So we will just use the boat and hope the weather clears before we overfill the tank.

So when the rain eases a bit we go into town.  We go first to the market.  There aren’t many stalls open, but there are three fish counters, so I am able to buy a nice sea bream for dinner.  Then we decide to find the supermarket an English lady on a neighbouring boat told us about.  On the way we pass a cute shop selling ethnic things including sun dresses.  I am still grieving for my old dress which fell apart last week.  So, I go in and manage to find a very light easy to wear dress.  The bust line
doesn’t really fit as intended, but that is par for the course, and it looks OK and the price is right, so I buy it.  Now I have two new light sundresses.  All I need is some sun!

The weather deteriorates as we return to the boat.  It has been pouring with rain most of the day and we are stuck inside.  I decide to do some domestic chores.  First I iron two shirts for Richard which were in the laundry loads I did yesterday morning.  Yes, I do have an iron and ironing board on the boat.  Only little travelling versions, mind you.

Then I decide to do some cooking for lunches over the next few days.  As it is cool, cooking is fine.  So I make a large bowl of Pepperanato (roasted peppers in oil dressing) and Tabouleh.  So we have nice bits to eat with cold meats or cheeses for lunch.

At teatime the weather cheers up a little, so we stretch our legs and walk around the town.  Everyone is sitting in cafes watching World Cup games.  Today Germany v Portugal.  The Italians here keep telling us about how they beat England the other day!


We still don’t know what we will do tomorrow.  The weather reports all say different things.  So we shall just have to see.  The choices are the most luxurious and chic resort at great expense, or the national park.  If the weather is OK, we will do the latter but that is a big if.  

No comments:

Post a Comment