Tuesday 30 September 2014

Tuesday 30 September 2014 - Siracusa

We had an excellent night’s sleep with a steady boat and no noise.  But we have slept in a bit too long, so when we leave, it is nearly 9:30.  At first I don’t think much about that because Richard said at first the Siracusa was only 15 miles away.  However once he started to seriously plot it, the distance went to 25 and finally 30 miles!  It is all a bit difficult because the chip in our plotter does not cover this part of the Sicilian coast.  So he is working from charts downloaded to my I-Pad, and paper charts.  He has even got out his Portland plotter, which only a few days ago he said he hadn’t used in years!

So it is a long day at sea.  We don’t even pretend to sail today.  Richard hasn’t even undone the sail cover!  There is little wind and even when the wind gets up to 6 knots in the afternoon, it is on the nose.  But it is a nice day and we have a pleasant trip.  We stop for some lunch, but that is a bit of an ersatz affair because we are basically out of food.  I had hoped to make some toast and serve it with the last of my long life jar of pate, but the bread has gone mouldy.  I find some toasts that I use for canapés and we have the pate on that.  We will have to find fresh food soon.

So we make it to Siracusa.  Richard’s plotting turns out to be on the spot.  We are a bit shocked to find large rocks in the entrance to the harbour that are not marked at all!  It is clear and we can see the water breaking over them, but what would happen in the dark, or in bad visibility, heaven only knows.  Another Costa Concordia in the making?  We find the marina which has been recommended and it is in a lovely spot right in the heart of the old city on the island.  We get a very nice berth well inside the harbour.  It all looks delightful.  This is a very beautiful city.  When we have settled in our berth we are delighted to see two other Southerlys.  One has no one on it, but the other does and we say hello.  They tell us the bad news.  Southerly has gone bust again and this time it is the end of the marque.  I am very sad about that.

We decide to walk into town to see if we can buy some food and maybe ice to make drinks.  We find a little supermarket, but it does not have much in it.  Richard does manage to buy a bottle of champagne for my birthday tomorrow, and some ice.  We will either have to have pasta again on board or eat out.  Richard says that my birthday making me 68 marks my truly being old.  I already knew that.  The other day when we were mooring up in Lipari, an elderly American on a charter boat was watching us and was heard so say “the little old lady is doing all the work”.  So I think that is definitive proof that I am officially old!

After a walk around the town and a coffee granita, right opposite the Greek Temple to Apollo, I start to feel very tired.  We go back to the boat.  I don’t feel like cooking so in the end we go along the waterfront and have a pizza.  It is pleasant enough.  We meet a Norwegian couple and have a nice chat.  It is fun to be somewhere so international.  


So back to the boat and soon off to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment